• 12120015_1724027807825086_5629807225907420744_o

Place Category: Health & Beauty Services and HospitalsPlace Tags: medical

  • Profile

    The Children’s Home has been a well-known beacon in the community of George and over the years has played an important role in hundreds of children’s lives. The task of educating, stimulating and developing traumatized children has always been a challenging albeit very rewarding endeavor; and this has proven to be the life-line and example for the rest of the organization and the communities involved with the children’s home.

    The broad history of the Children’s Home can be illustrated by the following time-line:

    11 March 1929
    – Pallottini Sisters (nuns) open St Mary’s school for 35 children
    May 1929
    – The sisters take in 3 orphans and thus the Children’s Home begins to operate
    Oct 1929
    – The sisters now have 35 Orphans and Vulnerable children in their care
    – The school is still going
    – The children’s home is self-sufficient with everyone contributing in some way
    – The children’s home is known as St Mary’s Children’s Home
    29 May 1934
    – Children’s home is formally recognized by government
    1935
    – 84 children in the home
    10 Nov 1943
    – A creche is opened for the pre-school children and they start with 50 attendees
    1945
    – 120 children in the home (80 girls and 50 boys)
    – Permanent staff members are appointed
    – New house is built for the boys and they move in in 1947
    – Children were developed to have a sense of individuality with-in the home
    1965
    – Sr Kaspara is appointed as new principal; she was a trained social worker
    – New house is built for the girls
    – Numbers are decreased to 40 boys and 40 girls; to ensure better quality of care
    – The children’s home is now funded by the government
    31 May 1966
    – Youngest child ever admitted to the children’s home; a premature 3 day-old
    1976
    – Number of children again decreased to 40; they share a house divided in 2 sides
    1994
    – Children’s home now registered for 45 children
    2001
    – The children’s home is taken over by Cs Medical and Relief Services (CMSR)
    – The children’s home is thus part of the NPO/Section 21 company as present
    – The Sisters have grown too old to manage the home and are all retired
    – A Multi-disciplinary team now carries on the good work
    2009
    – The Children’s Home celebrates their 80th Birthday
    – Family House 1 completed and occupied.
    2011
    – Family House 2 completed and occupie

  • More Info
    Address: 22 Beer Street, Rosemoor
    George
    Western Cape
    6530
    South Africa
    Time: 00:30 am to 11:30 pm every day
  • Photos
  • Map

    No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.