Xiaomi Mi 5S is yet another smartphone from Xiaomi, the Asian tech giant.
It is an upgrade to the Xiaomi Mi 5, which was launched in early 2016.
The Xiaomi Mi 5S is a must buy with its new Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, a much-improved battery, and the highly anticipated 12MP Sony IM378 sensor- touted as one of the best camera sensors in the world.
The Xiaomi Mi 5S is a mild upgrade on the Mi5 but it is still a must buy. Although it curiously drops the Optical Image Stabilisation feature that was available in the Mi5.
So, What’s special About The Xiaomi Mi 5S
This Android phone offers a unique unibody design built with a beautiful metal frame.
The phone is all metal compared to the Mi5, which has a glass cover on the back.
The Mi 5S display is protected by a Corning gorilla glass screen. The front is almost bezel-less but it still has a slim one.
There are various options to choose from including Rose Gold, Gold, Deep Gray and Silver. Another
Another gallant step forward is that the Xiaomi Mi 5S drops the home button.
Nonetheless, the Fingerprint scanner is still located at the bottom center of the front screen.
The Display and Cameras
It isn’t so massive with its 5.15-inch IPS Display. It has a screen resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels alongside a brilliant bright display. The whole essence of this is to five users a wonderful viewing experience both indoors and outdoors.
As earlier mentioned, the device sports the much talked about Sony IM378 sensor, the same sensor that runs on the Google Pixel.
Earlier this year, the Sony IM378 sensor given a quality score of 89 by DxOMark; the highest score by any smartphone camera.
The rear camera is accompanied by a dual-LED flash, phase detection autofocus, Panorama, auto-HDR, and 4k video recording.
The front camera is 4 megapixels strong and without a front facing flash.
The downside of the camera is that it lacks Optical Image Stabilisation, a feature that a premium smartphone is expected to support.
Hardware & Software
The device features the much improved Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, which is more powerful than the Snapdragon 820 in the Mi5. The smartphone as competed well in most speed comparison tests with other premium devices although it still miles behind Apple’s iPhone.
The chipset offers two powerful dual-core processors clocked at up to 2.15GHz and 2.0GHz respectively.
You can choose between the 64GB built-in storage with 3GB RAM and the other with 128GB built-in storage with 4GB RAM.
The 4GB/128GB model is ahead of the 3GB RAM model because it also features a 3D Touch UI, as found on the new iPhone.
Note: The device lacks an expandable memory/microSD slot.
The device offers support for 4G LTE and also sports a USB Type-C port.
The battery has received a bump to 3200 mAh from the 3000 mAh available on the Mi5.
This slight increase should give an additional 1-2 hrs of usage.
Moreover, the device supports Quick Charge 3.0 which can charge a dead battery to 83% full in just 30 minutes.
Xiaomi Mi 5S runs MiUI 8 on top of Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow).
Pricing and Availability
Xiaomi Mi 5S is not yet available in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and most African countries.
However, the smartphone is currently available on Gearbest (Click Here) with free international shipping.
Here are the specs of the Xiaomi Mi 5S:
- Platform: Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), MiUI 8
- Processor: Quad-core Processor: 2.15GHz dual-core and 2.0GHz dual-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821)
- GPU: Adreno 530
- Memory: 3GB RAM or 4GB RAM
- Colours: Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, Gray
- Dimension: 145.6 x 70.3 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 145g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: 5.15-inch IPS Display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (428 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Scratch Resistant Glass
- Rear Camera: 12 MP Camera, Ultra HD 2160p Video
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, Dual-LED Flash, Geo-tagging, Face Detection, Smile Detection, Panorama, Auto-HDR
- Front Camera: 4MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 64GB (3GB RAM) or 128GB (4GB RAM)
- Memory Card Support: No
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: 900 / 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.2 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C 1.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant:
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: No (download at store)
- Document Viewer: No (download at store)
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 3200 mAh Battery (non-removable)
- Fast Charging: Yes, charges to 83% capacity in just 30 minutes (QuickCharge 3.0)